Headquartered in Toronto, Canada, Everybody Loves Languages (ELL) combines over two decades of language learning content with state-of-the-art technology that enables educators to deliver personalized learning experiences in classrooms and online. ELL offers a diverse selection of education programs and advanced Learning and Student Management Systems (LMS) for K-12, higher education and corporates. ELL‘s learning ecosystem leads the language education industry with fullsupport to teachers’ pedagogies, resulting in tangible achievements for any student learning a new language.
With a mission to build a multilingual world using the best technologies and language learning methodologies, our team’s international experience culminates in our product development and service offerings with educational backgrounds that span from Europe to South America to Asia, providing a consultative approach to our customer needs.
About the role
We are looking for an experienced proofreader/editor to ensure that all our content is factually and grammatically consistent and correct for a leading textbook series focusing on Primary School Grades 3 to 6 in China, while liaising closely with our authors and editors and following their detailed feedback. Our ideal candidate has a sharp eye for detail and is able to maintain focus over extended periods.
What you will be doing
The proofreading work covers 8 books (Grade 3 to Grade 6, one book per semester).
The main responsibilities include proofreading, revising, and editing content for grammar, punctuation, natural language and structure, as well as factual and contextual mistakes. This includes,
- Correcting grammar, spelling, punctuation, and document formatting and artwork mistakes
- Ensuring there is consistency in language, punctuation and content detail
- Fact-checking numbers, dates and factual statements
- Ensuring language is natural and appropriate
- Improving clarity and syntax
- Providing thorough constructive feedback to our authors and editors
- Resolving queries directly with authors via email or online sessions
- Native English speaker proficiency
- 3+ years of experience as a proofreader, reviser, and/or editor
- Proficient in Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work flexibly and independently under pressure and with short turn-around times
- Experience in textbook publishing
- Experience in ESL/EFL curriculum content and materials development and/or textbook writing
- Knowledge of Chinese culture
- Experience of teaching young learners, particularly Chinese young learners
If you feel you have the skills and experience for this position, please consider applying below:
- A cover letter outlining your suitability for the role as per the essential skills, experience and qualifications listed above