Lingo Learning Inc.
ELL Technologies is a subsidiary of Lingo Learning Inc.
We develop, market and sell English language learning solutions to academic institutions, corporate clients and government agencies in the growing Latin American and Asian markets, and we co-publish one of the leading print-based English language learning programs for the primary school education market in China. Through this we have established a strong presence in China’s 300 million student education market and have co-published more than 560 million units from our library of more than 350 program titles.
About the opportunity
We are looking for an expert in phonics to work alongside our content creators and editors as part of a team that will develop and create new content for a leading textbook series focusing on Grades 1 to 6 in China while liaising closely with local editors and experts in China to implement their detailed feedback. With your expertise in Inglés phonics, you will work with a team of Chinese and international editors to revise the phonics content in two leading children’s ESL textbooks used by millions of students. You are prepared to go through several revision cycles that could last months or well over a year. The work will stop and start as it moves through the revision and approval process of China’s Ministry of Education and the publishing house. Flexibility and patience will be needed. You have a cross-cultural awareness that respects and complements the Chinese methodology of teaching phonetics in ESL. You will be able to introduce modern, effective, and fun methods of teaching phonics, but will also have the cross-cultural awareness to respect the more traditional Chinese teaching methodology and ideally have experience working on a cross-cultural team with editing/authoring experts and have authored ESL phonics material yourself.
The Role and Responsibilities:
- To develop and revise the phonics sections for several key English language textbooks. The content will be based on the specific requirements of the Chinese Public School System curriculum and will be primarily guided by local editors and partners.
- To participate in regular editorial meetings and feedback sessions either online or face-to-face to guide the creation of the textbooks’ phonics component
- A Masters OR Ph.D. in Linguistics with significant research in English phonics.
- Published articles relating to the teaching of phonics, or published phonics learning materials.
Essential Experience and Skills:
- 3+ years of experience in ESL/EFL curriculum content and materials development and/or textbook writing experience
- 4+ years of TESOL/TEFL teaching experience with children in grades 1 to 6
- Exceptional English language and editing skills.
- Knowledge of child development in relation to education
- Ability to work flexibly and independently under pressure and with short turn-around times.
- Ability to work in a collaborative/project-based environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- English speaker (CEFR C2 or equivalent) with the ability to speak some Mandarin.
- Ability to identify Chinese cultural elements related to language learning.
- Experience teaching elementary school level ESL in China or similar contexts.
The role offers:
- A very competitive compensation (negotiable)
- A flexible and supportive working environment that allows you to work around other employment.
If you feel you have the skills and experience for this position, please send the following information to email@example.com
(ELL Technologies is a subsidiary of Lingo Learning Inc.)
- Resume & a 1 page (max.) cover letter detailing your suitability for the position.
- Relevant previous work samples upon request.
- A cover letter directly outlining and very briefly describing how you have the essential qualifications, skill and experience called for above.
Please note, only candidates that will be considered for an interview will be contacted.